Madonna and Child

Madonna and Child is an icon by an unknown maker dated between 16th and 18th centuries, purchased for St Paul’s Church by Harlow Art Trust in 1955. St Paul’s itself is of exceptional architectural and artistic interest as a post-war modern church. Designed by Derek Humphreys, it was conceived as part of the original Master Plan for Harlow New Town and was consecrated in 1959. It is also home to a large wall mosaic depicting the Risen Christ at Emmaus by the artist John Piper, and still has its original brightly coloured furnishings by R.W. Hurst. Sir Frederick Gibberd was an acquaintance of Piper and purchased several watercolours from him, which are on permanent display at the Gibberd Gallery in the nearby Civic Centre.

Check the opening hours for St Paul’s Church on our ‘Visit’ page.